Recently Viewed Topics
Virtual Image Migration
The virtual Appliance supports direct import of application data from older Tenable Appliance virtual disks. The process for importation involves adding the previous Appliance's disk files to the new Appliance as a third and fourth drive.
- Prior to performing the migration it is recommended to make a backup of the current virtual image. This provides a recovery option if there is an issue during the migration process.
- Depending on the amount of data currently on the virtual image, the migration process may take several hours to complete while the data is being copied between the old and new disks.
- This process only migrates data for the Tenable applications that were previously installed. System configuration settings from the previous Appliance are not migrated. The password you set on the new VM won’t be replaced with data from the attached disks. You can restore a System Configuration backup (by uploading or using one on the attached disks) if you wish to restore those settings.
- Due to differences in products, platforms, and versions, the steps described here are written for general use. The specific wording of options varies depending on the software being used.
A migration option is available on the wizard if the drives are attached for import before launching the Appliance image.
- Shut down your newly deployed Tenable Appliance VM.
Edit the settings for the newly deployedTenable Appliance VM within your VM software. Under the “Hardware” section, begin the process to add another hard disk. Choose to use an existing virtual disk and select the
*-disk2/Data.vhdfiles in that order from your existing Appliance. If asked, choose to keep the existing format of your
Note: When selecting the second
.vmdkfile, note that you must again browse to the directory containing your previous disk files. The VMware software does not open for browsing in the previously used directory.
Once the disk addition is complete, start your Tenable Appliance image.
Some versions may display a message warning against using a duplicate UUID. Select the “Yes” button and continue to start.
Use your web browser to navigate to your Tenable Appliance web interface.
At the top of the Admin page a "Tenable Application Data Import" section will be displayed.
- When the “Import Application Data” button is clicked, it will perform the import of data in the background.
- Once the page reloads, the “Import Application Data” button will be replaced with text indicating that the import process is in progress. The System Log contains progress messages and includes a final “Application Data Migration Finished” message.
- Once the migration is complete, shut down the Tenable Appliance. Edit your virtual image and go to the “Hardware” section to remove the Appliance .vmdk disks added in step 2.
- After removing the hard disks, boot the updated version of Tenable Appliance. You may log into your applications and find your previous data is now available.