Recently Viewed Topics
The following information provides steps for the Tenable Appliance hardware migration.
The system must meet the following criteria before migration begins.
- The current Hardware ApplianceHardware Appliance will not be sold after 3/31/2017. However, service will continue to be provided for the duration of your contract. must be upgraded from 3.8.0 to 3.10.1 using the supported upgrade path.
- A full system backup and download of the backup should occur before running the script Hardware-Migration-4.1.0.tar.gz
- You must manually record hostname and networking configurations. (These are not retained after migration has completed.)
Note: If you don't know your SecurityCenter hostname or any specific routing or network settings there could be application issues. Certificate information isn't maintained for the Appliance.
The following states what happens as part of the migration script (Hardware-Migration-4.1.0.tar.gz).
Note: You must reboot after backup.
- Download the Hardware-Migration-4.1.0.tar.gz script and the Tenable Appliance-4.1.0-6-update.tar files from https://support.tenable.com under the Tenable Appliance 4.1.0 Images section of the downloads page.
- Take a full system backup.
- Navigate to the Backup tab.
- Verify that the Take Backup of field is set to Whole Appliance.
- Click the Take Backup button.
- On the new page that appears, click on Take Backup, again.
- When the backup completes, scroll down to the Available Backups section under the Backup tab. Click the Download Backup button and store it to a safe location.
- Upload the Migration Script.
- Click on the Administration tab. In the Update Appliance section, select Choose File and browse to locate the Hardware-Migration-4.1.0.tar.gz file previously downloaded from the Tenable Support site in step one.
- Click the Apply Update button.
- After the support script uploads, click the Perform Action button.
Note: This may take a significant amount of time.
- After the migration completes, a confirmation message displays at the top of the page.
- Navigate back to the Administration tab. Click the Restart Appliance button then click OK to confirm the restart.
- Factory reinstall.
- When the Appliance restarts, the boot cycle will reinstall the Appliance image. This is normal.
Note: The running post-installtion scripts portion of the install may take a significant amount of time. The Appliance may restart several times during this cycle.
- If the Appliance previously had a statically assigned IP address, log on to the local console for the Appliance and select Configure IP Address on the main menu to reset the IP address, default gateway, and DNS server IP addresses. (Log on is done after the Appliance restarts the Tenable Network Security console screen.)
Note: The IP addrss should be entered in CIDR, (i.e. 184.108.40.206/24) or decimal (i.e. 220.127.116.11/255.255.255.0) format
- If the previously recorded hostname is different from the default, open a web browser and navigate to the Networking tab. Change the default hostname to the correct hostname and click the Set Hostname button.
After setting the new hostname, a message will display stating the Appliance must be restarted.
Click on the Administration tab and click the Restart Appliance button, then click OK to confirm.
Once the Appliance restarts, click on the Backup tab. Scroll to the bottom of the page and confirm that Restore is set to Whole Appliance. Next, click Browse to locate the backup file created in step two above.
The application data will be available after migration and can be restored to the new version of the software.
Note: It is strongly recommended to backup again post migration script.