Recently Viewed Topics
Backup and Restore
On-prem performs backups via a connection to a remote host. The system backs up all Tenable.io data to the remote host. Then, you can restore the backup data to the same on-prem deployment.
On-prem does not store old backup files. When you restore a backup, the file overwrites your data.
The system schedules backups to run at 3:00 AM local time. The Tenable.io interface is not accessible while the system performs a backup, and the interface may remain inaccessible or behave abnormally for up to 30 minutes after the backup finishes. The time required to perform the backup depends on disk usage, and the first backup requires more time to complete than subsequent backups.
Note: If a Tenable.io scan is scheduled to start during the backup window, Tenable.io delays the scan until after the backup window. If a Tenable.io scan is already running, Tenable.io continues running the scan through the backup window but scan results may be delayed.
The backup status Code backup finished, status 0 indicates that the backup succeeded without errors. If the backup status is a non-zero number, retry the backup before contacting Support for further assistance.
You must configure a connection to a remote host in order to perform backups. On-prem connects to your remote host via an Rsync over SSH connection and stores the uncompressed backup on the server.
Prepare your remote host server environment before configuring a remote host for on-prem backups:
- Confirm Rsync is installed on your remote host server.
- Confirm SSH is running on your remote host server.
- Confirm the file system on your remote host server supports extended attributes.
- Confirm you have sufficient storage space to back up your on-prem data. For more information about approximate storage needs of on-prem deployments, see Tested Environments.
- Create a location on the remote host server where you intend to store the backup files. The user that you intend to use for the connection to on-prem must have write privileges to this location.