Recently Viewed Topics
Note: Managed credentials are not supported when deploying Tenable.io on-prem.
You can use credentials to grant the Tenable.io scanner local access to scan a target system without requiring an agent. Configuring credentialed scans allows Tenable.io to perform a wider variety of checks than non-credentialed scans, which can result in more accurate scan results.
In Tenable.io, you create credentials for use in scans as follows:
- Scan-specific credentials—You configure and store these credentials in an individual scan. If you delete the scan, you also delete the credentials. If you want to use the credentials in a scan other than the scan where they were configured, you must either convert the scan-specific credential to a managed credential or recreate the scan-specific credential settings in the new scan. Scan permissions control which users can use and edit scan-specific credentials. For more information, see Set Permissions for a Scan.
- Policy-specific credentials—You configure and store these credentials in an individual scan policy. You can then use the policy as a template to create individual scans. If you delete the policy, you delete the credentials in the policy; credentials are retained in any scans you created using the policy template before deletion. If you want to use the credentials in any other policy, you must recreate the policy-specific credentials in the new policy. You cannot use managed credentials in scan policies. Policy permissions control which users can use and edit policy-specific credentials. For more information, see Set Permissions for a Policy.
- Managed credentials—You configure and store these credentials centrally in the credential manager. You and users to whom you grant appropriate permissions can then use managed credentials in scans. Credential user permissions control which users can use and edit managed credentials. You can create new managed credentials in the credential manager, or you can convert a scan-specific credential to a managed credential in the scan editor.
For information on configuring managed credentials, see:
- Create a Managed Credential
- Edit a Managed Credential
- Configure User Permissions for a Managed Credential
- Delete a Managed Credential
For information on navigating in the credential manager, see:
Note: For information on using managed credentials in scans and policies, see Add or Edit Managed Credentials for a Scan.