Recently Viewed Topics
Regenerate a Linking Key
Required User Role: Scan Manager or Administrator
Under certain circumstances, you may need to regenerate the linking key for your Tenable.io instance. For example, you may regenerate the key for security reasons if an employee with knowledge of the linking key leaves your organization.
Regenerating a linking key does not affect sensors that are currently linked to Tenable.io, because the linking key is only used to establish the initial link. After you link a sensor, the sensor connects to Tenable.io using unique credentials.
If your organization has hard-coded a linking key into implementation scripts, keep in mind the following:
- Be sure to replace the original key with the regenerated key to prevent script failure.
- Each Tenable.io instance uses a single linking key for all sensor types. If you regenerate the linking key while working with one type of sensors (for example, Industrial Security instances), you also regenerate the linking key for the other sensor types. If you regenerate the linking key, be sure to update implementation for scripts involving all types of sensors.
To regenerate a linking key for your Tenable.io instance in the new interface:
In the upper-left corner, click the button.
The left navigation plane appears.
In the left navigation plane, click Settings.
The Settings page appears.
Click the Sensors widget.
The Sensors page appears. By default, Agents is selected in the left navigation menu and the Linked Agents tab is active.
- In the left navigation menu, click any sensor type (for example, Nessus).
The appropriate sensor page appears.
- In the upper-right corner of the page, click the Add [Sensor Type] button (for example, Add Nessus).
The appropriate sensor plane appears (for example, Add Nessus).
- In the Add [Sensor Type] plane, click the Regenerate button.
A confirmation window appears.
- In the confirmation window, click Regenerate.
The Regenerated Linking Key message appears, and the new linking key replaces the original linking key in the Add [Sensor Type] plane.
What to do next:
- Link a sensor.