Recently Viewed Topics
Configure Cookie Authentication
These steps describe how to check the authentication values for the Cookie Authentication option in the Credentials settings for the Web App Overview and Web App Scan templates.
These steps assume that you already have a cookie authentication form ready to test your credentials.
For the web application you want to scan, access the cookie authentication page.
Type your credentials as necessary.
Upon successful authentication, in the browser console, locate the call that performs the authentication. In this example, the call is
The Cookies tab displays one or more key/value pairs. In this example, the pair is
- In Tenable.io Web Application Scanning, either
create a new scan, or access the scan settings for which you want to add credentials.
- In the scan settings, click the Credentials tab.
- Click General.
- In the Authentication Method drop-down box, select Cookie Authentication.
- In the Session Cookies box, type the key/value pairs that you retrieved in step 3.
- In the Page to verify active session box, type the URL for the cookie authentication form.
In the Regex to verify active session box, type the regex to match when the credentials are correct.
Note: In many cases, the regex is text that appears on the login page (e.g.,
Click the Save button.
When you launch the scan, the Cookie Authentication Succeeded plugin appears in the scan results.
If the Cookie Authentication Failed plugin appears, the output indicates the reason for the failure.
If the page did not authenticate successfully, there is an issue with the cookies sent to the scan.
If the page did authenticate successfully, there may be an issue with the regex you defined.