Recently Viewed Topics
Configure Cookie Authentication
These steps describe how to check the authentication values for the Cookie Authentication option in the Credentials settings for the Web App Overview and Web App Scan templates.
These steps assume that you already have a cookie authentication form ready to test your credentials.
To test your authentication values:
For the web application you want to scan, access the cookie authentication page.
Type your credentials.
Upon successful authentication, in the browser console, locate the call that performs the authentication. In this example, the call is
The Cookies tab displays one or more key/value pairs. In this example, the pair is
To run a credentialed scan with cookie authentication:
- In Tenable.io Web Application Scanning, either
create a new scan, or access the scan settings for which you want to add credentials.
- In the scan settings, click the Credentials tab.
- Click Web Application Authentication.
- In the Authentication Method drop-down box, select Cookie Authentication.
- In the Session Cookies box, type the key/value pairs that you retrieved in step 3 of To test your authentication values.
- In the Page to verify active session box, type the URL you want to use to verify if the session is still active.
In the Regex to verify active session box, type the regex to match to confirm the session is still active.
Note: In many cases, the regex is text that appears on the login page (e.g.,
Click the Save button.
When you launch the scan, the Cookie Authentication Succeeded plugin appears in the scan results.
If the Cookie Authentication Failed plugin appears, the output indicates the reason for the failure.
If the page did not authenticate successfully, there is an issue with the cookies sent to the scan.
If the page did authenticate successfully, there may be an issue with the regex you defined.