(Early Access) Nessus 10.0.0 Release Notes - 2021-10-05
Note: This version of Nessus is an Early Access release. To opt in to Early Access, contact your Tenable representative or configure the Nessus Update Plan in the user interface.
The following are the new features included in Nessus 10.0.0:
Added Nessus 10 support for Raspberry Pi to run scans on the portable, low-cost platform.
Added Nessus dark mode for easy viewing over long periods of time.
Added customized reporting in Nessus to tailor reporting data according to your needs.
Improved plugin compiler for reduced total disk usage, faster initial installation, and faster processing of plugin updates.
Enhanced user experience with a new look, wider selection range, and context-level columns.
Updated eight existing reports with accurate descriptions.
Added new summary tab for more-detailed visibility on cluster scans in Nessus Manager.
Added new scan type to help find active directory-related vulnerabilities.
Added new resource center for announcements, feedback, and Nessus-related help.
Changed Functionality and Performance Enhancements
The following additional enhancements are included in Nessus 10.0.0:
Implemented defragmentation of Nessus Database for smaller disk usage and faster performance.
Added built-in packet capture in Nessus for easy debugging capabilities and privacy of data, including self-measurement to ensure proper scanner performance.
TCP port 830 (Netconf) is now probed by default during port scanning.
Removed CBC ciphers from Nessus Manager, which made remote servers more vulnerable to LUCKY 13 attacks.
The following are security updates included in Nessus 10.0.0:
Fixed a vulnerability for local privilege escalation in nessusd.exe v188.8.131.5239 (a debugging tool).
Fixed a Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) configuration setting which could have led to vulnerabilities.
|Bug Fix||Defect ID||Applies to|
|Fixed an issue where Nessus Manager API would return an empty response.||01204820||Nessus Manager|
|Fixed an issue where a standard user in Tenable.sc without rights using API could view agent groups defined with no access.||01192413||Nessus Manager|
|Fixed an issue where plugin attachments downloaded with a .bin attachment, ignoring the correct file extension.||01184052||All Nessus versions|
|Fixed an issue where a custom scan plugin set would not match a regular Nessus scan.||1168595||All Nessus versions|
|Fixed an issue where Nessus would crash during a scan due to memory issues with libjemalloc (a third-party library embedded in Nessus).||01026229, 01156766, 01150178||All Nessus versions|
|Fixed an issue where an abort of a Nessus scan would fail.||01136479||All Nessus versions|
|Fixed an issue where packets were truncated on cloud scanners.||01076654||All Nessus versions|
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 is no longer supported.
- You can upgrade to the latest version of Nessus from any previously supported version.
- If your upgrade path skips versions of Nessus, Tenable recommends reviewing the release notes for all skipped versions to learn about new features and bug fixes.
- If you upgrade to this version of Nessus and downgrade later on, run the following command to ensure support for Internet Explorer: nessuscli fix --set ssl_cipher_list=compatible.
- If you want your scanners to automatically update to the newest version prior to the GA date, set your Nessus Update Plan to Opt in to Early Access releases.
- If you want to manually update your scanners to the latest version prior to the GA date, disable automatic updates so the scanner does not automatically downgrade to the previous version.
For Nessus 8.8.0 and later running on Windows, you must install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 on the host operating system. The following Windows versions require a minimum Service Pack to be installed:
- Windows 7 SP1
- Windows Server 2008 SP2
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1