Nessus 8.10.0 Release Notes - 2020-03-24
The following are the new features included in Nessus 8.10.0:
Backup and Restore Tool - Ability to create Nessus backups that can easily and quickly be restored.
Nessus Upgrade Plan - In Nessus Professional and managed scanners linked to Tenable.io, users can set a Nessus Update Plan that determines the version that Nessus updates to.
The options are as follows:
- Update to the latest GA release: Update to the latest version as soon as it is made generally available (GA).
- Opt in to Early Access releases: Update to the latest version as soon as it is released for Early Access (EA), typically a few weeks before general availability.
- Delay updates, staying on an older release: Remain on an earlier version of Nessus set by Tenable, which is at least one release older than the current generally available version. When Nessus releases a new version, your instance updates software versions, but stays on a version prior to the latest release. Note: Nessus never updates to a version earlier than 8.10.0, so this setting will impact upgrade to releases after 8.10.0.
For more information, see Update Nessus Software in the Nessus User Guide.
Downgrade Option - Support downgrade to a prior version of Nessus.
Note: Users cannot downgrade to versions prior to 8.10.0.
For more information, see Downgrade Nessus Software in the Nessus User Guide.
Slow Rollout - Roll out new Nessus releases to the Tenable Update Server for licensed Nessus Professional and Nessus Manager installations separately from Tenable.io. New Nessus versions will be made GA for Tenable.io-linked scanners to auto-update one week after the GA for the release. The new version will be available on the Tenable Nessus Download page on the GA date, for customers that want to update earlier.
Predefine Nessus Manager linking key - In Nessus Manager, you can manually set the linking key for Agents and Nessus scanners to help streamline deployments.
For more information, see Retrieve the Linking Key in the Nessus User Guide.
Specify scanner groups when linking scanners to Tenable.io - When linking Nessus scanners to Tenable.io using the CLI, you can set the scanner group to which to automatically add the scanner.
For more information, see Nessus CLI in the Nessus User Guide.
Changed Functionality and Performance Enhancements
- Quality and stability improvements.
|Bug Fix||Defect ID|
|Fixed an issue with Apple IOS MDM Compliance Checks that users were prompted to specify multiple credential types||00934506|
|Fixed an issue were plugin 10716 caused the scanner to crash||00913088|
Fixed issues where high CPU usage was seen during a scan:
High CPU was seen on scan of Linux Server after upgrade to 8.7.2
|Scans aborting in Tenable.io because nessusd process throttles at 99%||00950793|
|Fixed issues related to scans running longer than normal or not completing:|
|Nessus scans stuck stopping on scanners from Tenable.sc||00964502|
|Unofficial External PCI scan never completes||00951214|
|Tenable.io scan using local scanners is taking days rather than hours||00910893|
|Tenable.io scan has been "Running" for over 5 days in UI||00903231|
|External PCI Scan taking a lot longer than usual||00918023|
|Scan taking longer than it should||00901325|
|Scans inconsistently ending in 'partial' status due to scanners timing out||00852594|
|Scans failing to complete||00815880|
For Nessus 8.8.0 and later running on Windows, you must install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 on the host operating system. The following Windows versions require a minimum Service Pack to be installed:
- Windows 7 SP1
- Windows Server 2008 SP2
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
- You can upgrade to the latest version of Nessus from any previously supported version.
- If your upgrade path skips versions of Nessus, Tenable recommends reviewing the release notes for all skipped versions to learn about new features and bug fixes.