Tenable Appliance 2.0.0 Release Notes
The following list describes significant changes that are included in the Tenable Appliance version 2.0.0, as well as any known issues and notes for upgrading. A PDF file of these release notes is also available here.
Currently Nessus, SecurityCenter and PVS applications are supported on the appliance with LCE to be added in the future.
Please obtain and read the Tenable Appliance Guide for complete installation or upgrade instructions. The newest version of this document is available at http://cgi.tenable.com/Tenable_Appliance.pdf.
Obtaining the Image
The Tenable Virtual Appliance image is available for VMware Server, VMware Player, VMware Workstation, VMware ESX and VMware vSphere (http://vmware.com) and may be downloaded from the Tenable Support Portal located at https://support.tenable.com/support-center.
File Names & MD5 Checksums
The Tenable VMware image for VMware Server and VMware Player is provided as a .zip archive with a filename in the following format:
The VMware ESX Server image is provided as a .zip archive with a filename in a format similar to the following:
The documents listed below are available for download from the Tenable Support Portal:
- Tenable Appliance Guide
- Series 100 Quick Start Guide
- Series 200 Quick Start Guide
- Tenable Appliance Software License Agreement
New Features Added
- Added SecurityCenter 126.96.36.199.
- Updated PVS to version 3.4.
- Overhauled the Management Interface to reflect the new Tenable website design template.
- Added a new alternative to more easily import data and applications (Nessus, SC3, SC4 and PVS) from a previous 1.0.4 Appliance VM.
- The appliance now supports directly importing application data from older appliance VM disks. The process involves adding the previous appliance's virtual disk file (.vmdk) to the new appliance as an additional drive. The process migrates the data for all applications that were installed on the old appliance image. After the migration is finished, the appliance should be shut down, the old disk removed and then restarted. See the "Tenable Appliance Guide" for more details.
- Added support for increasing the virtual disk size in the VM. During the system initialization process, the VM will detect if the data.vmdk virtual disk has been increased and will extend the logical volume to take advantage of the additional space.
- The Disk Utilization Percentage is now displayed on the Appliance Information page in the Management Interface.
- With the move to a resizable image, we are once again shipping with a minimal disk size. The virtual disk size as shipped has decreased from 32 GB to less than 8 GB. Note: This could cause quicker disk-full situations for users running SecurityCenter. A warning is displayed on the SecurityCenter application page when the appliance disk size is too small for typical usage.
- Added the ability to configure a port other than 8000 for the management interface.
- Visibility of system log information from the console. Accessing tty3 from the console now shows syslog information scrolling in real time.
Nessus specific changes
- Support for uploading non-nasl custom Nessus plugin files such as *.inc files located in the /opt/nessus/lib/nessus/plugins directory.
- sysctl.conf additions - improved scanning performance
- Security Center 3 has been removed
- Support for restoring backups created from a 1.0.3 Appliance has been removed.
- Removed the "Report Watermark Upload" from SC 4.2 Application Page - this feature is now available within the SecurityCenter 4 UI.