Note: Passive Vulnerability Scanner (PVS) is now known as Nessus Network Monitor (NNM).
This document describes the new features and improvements that are introduced in PVS 4.2.1 and HTML5 User Interface 1.3.1. A PDF file of these release notes is also available here.
- Refer to the PVS 4.2 User Guide for details on upgrading to PVS 4.2.1.
- PVS 4.2.1 is compatible with SecurityCenter 4.7.x and later.
- The HTML5 User Interface is automatically updated to 1.3.1 via a plugin update.
Support is available for the following platforms:
- Red Hat Linux ES 5 / CentOS 5 64-bit
- Red Hat Linux ES 6 / CentOS 6 64-bit
- Red Hat Linux ES 7 / CentOS 7 64-bit
- Mac OS X 10.8 and 10.9 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Vista, 7, 8, Server 2008, and Server 2012 64-bit
Support for 32-bit systems has been dropped in 4.2.
The Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package is a prerequisite that needs to be installed on Windows before installing PVS. Refer to the documentation for more information.
File Names & MD5 Checksums
10Gbps Support for Virtual/Software deployments (Non Tenable Appliance)
PVS version 4.2.1 provides capabilities for real-time multi-gigabit network traffic monitoring for software-based installs either with bare-metal installs of RHEL 6 or running under VMware ESX/ESXi 5.5.
ERSPAN Encapsulation Support
In addition to Generic IP Encapsulation, added support for VMware ERSPAN (Transparent Ethernet Bridging) and Cisco ERSPAN (ERSPAN Type II). ERSPAN allows you to mirror traffic from one or more "source" ports on a virtual switch or even a physical switch or router and send the traffic to a "destination IP" host running PVS. This could help in situations were provisioning a span port or network tap is problematic. More general info on ERSPAN:
Red Hat 7 Support for standard mode (non 10Gb)
Standard mode PVS is now supported on RHEL 7. High speed (10G mode) will be supported in a future release.
License enforce throughput by entitlement ("Standard mode" vs 10G "High speed mode")
High speed (10G mode) is now enforced via activation code. SC-CV includes unlimited "standard mode" PVS but each 10G sensor will need a dedicated activation code.
- Realtime session logging has been updated to included total bytes transferred and session duration.
- Prevent interfaces that have IP addresses bound to them from being selected in high performance mode.
- Upgraded SQLite to 220.127.116.11.
- Upgraded OpenSSL to 1.0.0r.