Recently Viewed Topics
Passive Vulnerability Scanner 3.6.0 Release Notes
Note: Passive Vulnerability Scanner (PVS) is now known as Nessus Network Monitor (NNM).
Windows - 11/15/2011, Linux - 1/23/2012
Note: PVS 188.8.131.52 (Linux - 3/14/2012, Windows - 4/10/2012) fixes a wide variety of sensor stability and performance issues that were reported by customers shortly after the release of 3.6. 184.108.40.206 was extensively tested on customer networks and at this time resolves all stability issues Tenable is aware of.
The following list describes many of the changes that are included in PVS version 3.6.0, the significant issues that have been resolved, and notes for upgrading. A PDF file of these release notes is also available here.
Support is available for the following platforms:
- Red Hat Linux ES 4
- Red Hat Linux ES 5 / CentOS 5
- Red Hat Linux ES 5 / CentOS 5 64-bit
- Red Hat Linux ES 6 / CentOS 6
- Red Hat Linux ES 6 / CentOS 6 64-bit
- Windows Vista
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows 7
Upgrading from Windows 3.0.x
PVS 3.6 represents a significant upgrade from the previous Windows version. With a new UI for configuration and no real-time event GUI for monitoring events, the current version focuses on more seamless and efficient integration with SecurityCenter. As such, Tenable strongly recommends uninstalling any previous version and performing a fresh installation of PVS 3.6. A new license must be requested from Tenable Support. Licenses acquired prior to PVS 3.6 are not compatible with newer versions of the software.
File Names & MD5 Checksums
- New graphical configuration editor for Windows version
- Added the "Strip VLAN tags" setting to ignore the VLAN header
- Added Nessus V2 report output format
- Deprecated the "failure-threshold" configuration setting
- Improved stability when parsing PASL scripts
- New license format *Requires a new license
This release is targeted for PVS implementations that are integrated with SecurityCenter and does not have a real-time UI component for browsing reported data. Future versions may provide this ability.