Install a Nessus Scanner on a Windows Device
The steps in this procedure require administrative or root privileges on the device.
Before you begin:
- Download the Nessus installation file corresponds to your operating system from the Tenable Downloads Page. Installation files for Windows typically have the .msi extension.
To install a Nessus scanner on a Windows device:
- Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the Nessus installer.
- Double-click the Nessus installation file to start the installation process.
- On the Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for Tenable Nessus page, click Next to continue.
- On the License Agreement page, read the terms of the Tenable Network Security, Inc. Nessus Software License and Subscription Agreement.
- Click the I accept the terms of the license agreement button.
- Click the Next button.
On the Destination Folder page, do one of the following:
- Click the Next button to accept the default installation folder.
- Click the Change button to install Nessus in a different folder.
On the Ready to Install the Program page, click the Install button.
The Installing Tenable Nessus page appears, and a Status bar indicates the installation progress. The process may take several minutes.
If prompted, install WinPcap. Nessus installation requires WinPcap. If WinPcap was previously installed as part of another network application, you can skip these substeps.
- On the Welcome to the WinPcap Setup Wizard page, click the Next button.
- On the WinPcap License Agreement page, read the terms of the license agreement, then click the I Agree button to continue.
- On the WinPcap Installation options page, ensure that the Automatically start the WinPcap driver at boot time option is checked, then click the Install button.
- On the Completing the WinPcap Setup Wizard screen, click the Finish button.
On the Tenable Nessus InstallShield Wizard Completed page, click the Finish button.
The Welcome to Nessus page automatically opens in your default browser.
What to do next:
- Complete the initial configuration for Nessus and configure it as a managed scanner linked to Tenable.io, as described in Configure Nessus in the Nessus User Guide .