Add an Active Scan
Required User Role: Organizational user with appropriate permissions. For more information, see User Roles.
For more information about active scan options, see Active Scan Settings.
Before you begin:
- Confirm you are running Nessus 6.3.6 or later.
- Confirm you understand the complete scanning configuration process, as described in Active Scans.
To add an active scan:
Log in to Tenable.sc via the user interface.
Click Scans > Active Scans.
The Active Scans page appears.
The Add Active Scan page appears.
- Click General.
- Type a Name for the scan.
- (Optional) Type a Description for the scan.
- Select a Policy for the scan.
- (Optional) If you want to schedule the scan to run automatically, select a Schedule for the scan.
The Settings tab appears.
- If prompted, select a preconfigured Scan Zone for the scan.
- Select an Import Repository for the scan.
- Select a Scan Timeout Action for the scan.
- Select a Rollover Schedule for the scan.
- Enable or disable the Advanced options.
The Targets tab appears.
Select a Target Type for the scan.
- Select one or more Assets and IPs / DNS Names for the scan.
(Optional) To configure credentialed scanning, do the following:
The Credentials tab appears.
Click Add Credential.
- In the drop-down boxes, select a credential type and a preconfigured credential.
Click the check mark to save your selection.
(Optional) If you want to configure multiple credentials for the active scan, repeat step 19.
Note: When running an active scan, Tenable.sc attempts authentication using the newest credentials added by an Administrator user. If the newest Administrator-added credentials do not match, Tenable.sc attempts authentication with older Administrator-added credentials.
Then, if no Administrator-added credentials match, Tenable.sc attempts to authenticate using the newest credentials added by an organizational user. If the newest organizational user-added credentials do not match, Tenable.sc attempts authentication with older organizational user-added credentials.
If no credentials match, the scan runs without credentialed access.
- (Optional) To configure post-scan options, do the following:
Click Post Scan.
The Post Scan tab appears.
- To configure automatic report generation, click Add Report.
- Select the report you want to run after the scan completes, as described in Add a Report to a Scan.
Tenable.scsaves your configuration.