Perform an Offline Nessus Plugin Update
Required User Role: Administrator
Before you begin:
If you installed Tenable.sc in an environment other than Tenable Core, install a Nessus scanner on the same host as Tenable.sc. It does not need to be started or otherwise configured.
To perform an offline Nessus plugin update:
To prevent the Nessus scanner from starting automatically upon restarting the system, run the following command:
/sbin/chkconfig nessusd off
/usr/bin/systemctl disable nessusd
Run the following command and save the challenge string that is displayed:
# /opt/nessus/sbin/nessuscli fetch --challenge
In your browser, navigate to https://plugins.nessus.org/offline.php.
Note: Do not click here, even if you have a newer version of Nessus installed. You cannot use the https://plugins.nessus.org/v2/offline.php page for Tenable.sc downloads.
- Paste the challenge string from Step 3 and your Activation Code in the appropriate boxes on the web page.
- Click Submit.
On the next page, copy the link that starts with https://plugins.nessus.org/get.php... and save it as a favorite. Within the saved link change all-2.0.tar.gz to sc-plugins-diff.tar.gz. This link will be needed for future use.
Caution: Do not click the link for nessus-fetch.rc.
Go to the favorite you created.
The page prompts you to download a file.
- Download the file, which is called sc-plugins-diff.tar.gz.
Verify the file using the MD5 checksum, as described in the knowledge base article.
- Save the sc-plugins-diff.tar.gz on the system used to access your Tenable.scweb interface.
Log in to Tenable.sc via the user interface.
Click System > Configuration.
The Configuration page appears.
The Plugins/Feed Configuration page appears.
- In the Schedules section, expand the Active Plugins options.
- Click Choose File and browse to the saved sc-plugins-diff.tar.gz file.
After several minutes, the plugin update finishes and the page updates the Last Updated date and time.