Perform an Offline Tenable.sc Feed Update
Required User Role: Administrator
Note: If you already performed a Nessus offline plugin update, start at step 7.
Before you begin:
If you installed Tenable.sc in an environment other than Tenable Core, install a Nessus scanner on the same host as Tenable.sc. It does not need to be started or otherwise configured.
To perform an offline Tenable.sc feed update:
To prevent the Nessus scanner from starting automatically upon restarting the system, run the following command:
/sbin/chkconfig nessusd off
/usr/bin/systemctl disable nessusd
To obtain the challenge code for an offline Tenable.sc registration, do one of the following:
If you deployed Tenable.sc + Tenable Core, navigate to the Tenable.sc tab in Tenable Core and save the challenge code.
If you installed Tenable.sc in an environment other than Tenable Core, run the following command and save the challenge code:
# /opt/nessus/sbin/nessuscli fetch --challenge
- In your browser, navigate to .
- Paste the challenge code from Step 2 and your Activation Code in the appropriate boxes on the web page.
- Click Submit.
- On the next page, copy the link that starts with https://plugins.nessus.org/get.php... and save it as a favorite.
- Within the saved link change all-2.0.tar.gz to SecurityCenterFeed48.tar.gz. This link is needed for future use.
Caution: Do not click the link for nessus-fetch.rc as it is not needed.
Go to the favorite link you created.
The page prompts you to download a file.
- Download the file, which will be called SecurityCenterFeed48.tar.gz.
Verify the file using the MD5 checksum, as described in the knowledge base article.
- Save the SecurityCenterFeed48.tar.gz on the system used to access your
Log in to Tenable.sc via the user interface.
Click System > Configuration.
The Configuration page appears.
The Plugins/Feed Configuration page appears.
- In the Schedules section, expand the Tenable.sc Feed options.
- Click Choose File and browse to the saved SecurityCenterFeed48.tar.gz file.
After several minutes, the plugin update finishes and the page updates the Last Updated date and time.