Get Started with Tenable Nessus
Ensure that your setup meets the minimum system requirements:
- Obtain your Activation Code for Nessus.
Install and configure Tenable Nessus
Follow the installation steps depending on your Nessus software and operating system, as described in Install Nessus.
- Perform the initial configuration steps.
Create and configure scans
- Run a host discovery scan to identify assets on your network.
- Create a scan.
- Select a scan template that fits your needs.
When you configure a Tenable-provided scan template, you can modify only the settings included for the scan template type. When you create a user-defined scan template, you can modify a custom set of settings for your scan. Tenable sometimes refers to a user-defined template as a policy.
- Use a Tenable-provided scanner template.
- (Tenable Nessus Manager only) Use a Tenable-provided Agent template.
- Create and use a user-defined template by creating a policy.
- Configure the scan:
Configure the scan settings available for your template.
For information about scan targets, see Scan Targets.
- (Optional) To configure live results, see Live Results.
- (Optional) If you are running a credentialed scan, configure credentials.
- (Optional) If you are running a compliance scan, select the compliance audits your scan includes.
- (Optional) If you are using an advanced scan template, select what plugins your scan includes.
- Launch the scan.
View and analyze scan results
- View scan results.
- View and manage vulnerabilities.
- Manage scan folders.
- Create a scan report or export.
Refine Tenable Nessus settings
- Adjust scan settings to address warning messages.
- Monitor scanner health.
- Configure Tenable Nessus advanced settings.