Link a Node
To link a child node to a cluster, you install an instance of Tenable Nessus as a cluster child node, then configure the node to link to the parent node of the cluster.
Note: If cluster child nodes have automatic software updates disabled, you must manually update them to Nessus 8.12 or later to use agent cluster groups. If cluster child nodes have automatic software updates enabled, nodes can take up to 24 hours to update. To ensure correct linking and configuration, wait for all child nodes to update to a supported Nessus version before configuring custom cluster groups. All child nodes must be on the same Nessus version and operating system.
Before you begin:
- Get the linking key from the cluster parent node.
To install and configure Tenable Nessus as a child node:
- Install Tenable Nessus as described in the appropriate Install Tenable Nessus procedure for your operating system.
On the Welcome to Nessus, select Managed Scanner.
The Managed Scanner screen appears.
From the Managed by drop-down box, select Nessus Manager (Cluster Node).
The Create a user account screen appears.
- Create a Tenable Nessus administrator user account, which you use to log in to Tenable Nessus:
- In the Username box, enter a username.
- In the Password box, enter a password for the user account.
Tenable Nessus finishes the configuration process, which may take several minutes.
To link the child node to the parent node:
In the Tenable Nessus child node, use the administrator user account you created during initial configuration to sign in to Tenable Nessus.
The Agents page appears. By default, the Node Settings tab is open.
- Enable the toggle to On.
- Configure the General Settings:
- Node Name — Type a unique name that identifies this Tenable Nessus child node on the parent node.
- (Optional) Node Host — Type the hostname or IP address that Tenable Nessus Agents should use to access the child node. If you do not provide a host node, Tenable Nessus Agent uses the system hostname. If Tenable Nessus Agent cannot detect the hostname, the link fails.
- (Optional) Node Port — Type the port for the specified host.
- Configure the Cluster Settings:
- Cluster Linking Key — Paste or type the linking key that you copied from the Tenable Nessus Manager parent node.
- Parent Node Host — Type the hostname or IP address of the Tenable Nessus Manager parent node to which you are linking.
- Parent Node Port — Type the port for the specified host. The default is 8834.
- (Optional) Use Proxy — Select the check box if you want to connect to the parent node via the proxy settings set in Proxy Server.
A confirmation window appears.
- To confirm linking the node to the parent node, click Continue.
The Tenable Nessus child node links to the parent node. Tenable Nessus logs you out of the user interface and disables the user interface.
What to do next:
- Log in to the Tenable Nessus Manager parent node to manage linked Tenable Nessus Agents and nodes.
- Link or migrate agents to the cluster.
- On the Tenable Nessus Manager parent node, manage cluster groups to organize your nodes into groups that conform to your network topology. You must segment your network with cluster groups when certain agents only have access to certain child nodes. By default, Nessus assigns the node to the default cluster group.