Install Tenable Nessus Essentials, Professional,
Expert, or Manager
This option installs a standalone version of Tenable Nessus Essentials, Nessus Professional,
For information on activating a Nessus trial, see Activate a Tenable Nessus Professional or Tenable Nessus Expert Trial.
To configure Tenable Nessus as Tenable Nessus Essentials, Tenable Nessus Professional,
On the Welcome to Nessus screen, select how you want to install Tenable Nessus:
- Nessus Home — The free version of Nessus for educators, students, and hobbyists.
- Nessus Professional — The de-facto industry standard vulnerability assessment solution for security practitioners.
- Nessus Expert — The industry-leading vulnerability assessment solution for the modern attack surface.
- Nessus Manager — The enterprise solution for managing Nessus Agents at scale.
If you selected Nessus Professional, Nessus Expert, or Nessus Manager, the Register Nessus screen appears.
If you selected Nessus Essentials, the Get an activation code screen appears. Do one of the following:
If you need an activation code:
- On the Get an activation code screen, type your name and email address.
- Click Email.
- Check your email for your free activation code.
If you already have an activation code, click Skip.
The Register Nessus page appears.
On the Register Nessus screen, type your Activation Code.
The Activation Code is the code you obtained from your activation email or from the Tenable Downloads Page.
The Create a user account screen appears.
- Create a Tenable Nessus administrator user account that you use to log in to Tenable Nessus:
- In the Username box, enter a username.
In the Password box, enter a password for the user account.
Note: Passwords cannot contain Unicode characters.
Tenable Nessus finishes the configuration process, which may take several minutes.
Using the administrator user account you created, Sign In to Tenable Nessus.Note: When you sign in to Tenable Nessus for the first time, you receive the following message: Plugins are compiling. Nessus functionality will be limited until compilation is complete. You cannot create scans, view policies or plugin rules, or use the upgrade assistant while Tenable Nessus compiles plugins.