Link a Node
To link a child node to a cluster, you install an instance of Nessus as a cluster child node, then configure the node to link to the parent node of the cluster.
Note: If cluster child nodes have automatic software updates disabled, you must manually update them to Nessus 8.12 in order to use agent cluster groups. If cluster child nodes have automatic software updates enabled, nodes can take up to 24 hours to update. To ensure correct linking and configuration, wait for all child nodes to update to Nessus 8.12 prior to configuring custom cluster groups.
Before you begin:
- Get the linking key from the cluster parent node.
To install and configure Nessus as a child node:
- Install Nessus as described in the appropriate Install Nessus procedure for your operating system.
On the Welcome to Nessus screen, select Managed Scanner.
The Managed Scanner screen appears.
From the Managed by drop-down box, select Nessus Manager (Cluster Node).
The Create a user account screen appears.
- Create a Nessus administrator user account, which you use to log in to Nessus:
- In the Username box, enter a username.
- In the Password box, enter a password for the user account.
Nessus finishes the configuration process, which may take several minutes.
To link the child node to the parent node:
In the Nessus child node, use the administrator user account you created during initial configuration to sign in to Nessus.
The Agents page appears. By default, the Node Settings tab is open.
- Enable the toggle to On.
- Configure the General Settings:
- Node Name — Type a unique name that is used to identify this Nessus child node on the parent node.
- (Optional) Node Host — Type the hostname or IP address that Nessus Agents should use to access the child node.
- (Optional) Node Port — Type the port for the specified host.
- Configure the Cluster Settings:
- Cluster Linking Key — Paste or type the linking key that you copied from the Nessus Manager parent node.
- Parent Node Host — Type the hostname or IP address of the Nessus Manager parent node to which you are linking.
- Parent Node Port — Type the port for the specified host. The default is 8834.
- (Optional) Use Proxy — Select the check box if you want to connect to the parent node via the proxy settings set in Proxy Server.
A confirmation window appears.
- To confirm linking the node to the parent node, click Continue.
The Nessus child node links to the parent node. Nessus logs you out of the user interface and the user interface is disabled.
What to do next:
- Log in to the Nessus Manager parent node to manage linked Nessus Agents and nodes.
- Link or migrate agents to the cluster.
- On the Nessus Manager parent node, manage cluster groups to organize your nodes into groups that conform to your network topology. By default, the node is assigned to the default cluster group.