Install Nessus Offline
A Nessus Offline registration is suitable for computers that run Nessus, but are not connected to the internet. To ensure that Nessus has the most up-to-date plugins, Nessus servers not connected to the internet must perform these specific steps to register Nessus.
This process requires the use of two computers: the computer where you are installing Nessus, which is not connected to the internet, and another computer that is connected to the internet.
For the following instructions, we use computers A (offline Nessus server) and B (online computer) as examples.
During the browser portion of the Nessus installation, in the Registration drop-down, select Offline.
A unique Challenge Code appears. In the following example, the challenge code is: aaaaaa11b2222cc33d44e5f6666a777b8cc99999.
- (Optional) Configure your Nessus setup to use Custom Settings.
Generate the License
- On a system with internet access (B), navigate to the Nessus Offline Registration Page.
In the top field, type the challenge code shown on the Nessus Product Registration screen.
Example Challenge Code: aaaaaa11b2222cc33d44e5f6666a777b8cc99999
Example Activation Code: AB-CDE-1111-F222-3E4D-55E5-CD6F
Click the Submit button.
The Offline Update Page Details appears and includes the following elements:
- Custom URL: The custom URL displayed downloads a compressed plugins file. This file is used by Nessus to obtain plugin information. This URL is specific to your Nessus license and must be saved and used each time plugins need to be updated.
- License: The complete text-string starting with -----BEGIN Tenable, Inc. LICENSE----- and ends with -----END Tenable, Inc. LICENSE----- is your Nessus product license information. Tenable uses this text-string to confirm your product license and registration.
- nessus.license file: At the bottom of the web page, there is an embedded file that includes the license text-string.
Download and Copy Latest Plugins
While still using the computer with internet access (B), select the on-screen, custom URL.
A compressed TAR file downloads.
Tip: This custom URL is specific to your Nessus license. Save it and use it each time you need to update plugins.
Copy the compressed TAR file to the Nessus offline (A) system.
Use the directory specific to your operating system:
Mac OS X
Copy and Paste License Text
- While still using the computer with internet access (B), copy complete text string starting with -----BEGIN Tenable, Inc. LICENSE----- and ends with -----END Tenable, Inc. LICENSE-----
- On the computer where you are installing Nessus (A), on the Nessus Product Registration screen, paste the complete text string starting with -----BEGIN Tenable, Inc. LICENSE----- and ends with -----END Tenable, Inc. LICENSE-----.
Nessus finishes the installation process; this may take several minutes.
- Using the System Administrator account you created during setup, Sign In to Nessus.